Friday 3 January 2014

Artist's studio by De Rijke Marsh Morgan

The majority of new developments in Deptford tend to be largely untroubled by any quality architectural intervention. Of course some of our buildings such as the Laban Centre and Deptford Lounge/Tidemill Academy could be argued to be the exception to this rule, but you only have to glance as far as most of Creek Road (in particular the abhorrent Creekside Village), the Seager Distillery, Resolution Way studios and Paynes & Borthwick Wharf to get my drift. Convoys Wharf and other forthcoming developments show no sign of bucking this trend.

But scattered among the detritus that the planners allow to be washed up on the shores of our conservation zone, there's occasionally something to provoke discussion and debate. The latest addition could well prove to be the Marmite of local architecture.


A new artist's studio, designed by De Rijke Marsh Morgan Architects, has just been revealed at the southern end of Comet Street. I suspect its form and function will provoke much discussion, although its location means it may not be seen by a very large audience - you really do have to seek it out.

Its unusual purpose - an artist's studio and nothing more - and appearance - a big asymmetric black box with enormous north-facing roof light and no other windows, looking for all the world like it has just been beamed down into the grubby backstreets of Deptford - mark it out as something a bit different from the multi-coloured cheap-and-not-at-all-cheerful blocks that are springing up in every other space around here. Whether it's different in a good way or not will be open to debate.


The structure is distinctive on a number of levels - firstly it must be some time since Deptford played host to an artist with sufficient income to enable them to commission and build a new building which will serve only as a studio.


The north-facing rooflight is created using the same material as forms the roof of the Eden Project - a special polymer known as Texlon, formed into thin 'cushions' which can be inflated to create a larger area of unsupported roof than with normal glazing or cladding material.


Its asymmetric form includes a lower corner on the north west, intended to minimise the loss of daylight experienced by its neighbour, one of the four terraced houses remaining on Speedwell Street. As well as its odd shape, the building's black cladding and lack of any other windows give it a distinctly other-worldly appearance. Black may prove to be an unfortunate choice of colour, given the number of large birds around here - in particular the herring gull that can often be seen begging for scraps outside the high street fish shops. The fourth photo shows the result of a direct hit by one of our feathered friends, let's hope the cladding is self-cleaning.


9 comments:

Richard Elliot said...

I think the close up photos look good.

I'll have to walk past to see it in the context of the street.

vesper said...

"Quality architecture" was our A Deo et Rege, Addey & Stanhope educated, rallying cry, for the regeneration of Deptford's Thames Gateway, City Challenge sites at inception.

I personally put forward the name of my old class mate Greg Musi, as architect for the Deptford Power Station and Creekside Project in a letter to the Deptford & Peckham Mercury.

At my suggestion the late Father Diamond of St Paul's sent my poem titled 'SE8 MATE' to invite HRH The Prince of Wales to open St Paul's Court, so that Deptford's community, and great architectural heritage of the past was linked to the contemporary VISION OF BRITAIN architecture debate. Here is the soundcloud link to the poem https://soundcloud.com/roy-hobson/07-track-07

Over the last 30 years that debate has not only involved me, and HRH The Prince of Wales, it has also involved Lord Rogers, who took a fancy to developing Convoys Wharf, as has Sir Terry Farrell.

I'd love to work with the artist who commissioned the "Artist's studio by De Rijke Marsh Morgan" in Comet Street

Maedhros said...

Alex de Rijke was briefly my tutor when I studied architecture 25 years ago - an amazing man... I can't wait to go and have a shufty at this building on my way home tonight. From the photos, I love it. But then I love Marmite!

Headhunter said...

Looks interesting. It's hard to judge from the photos - perhaps a bit large for the context but doesn't look awful from what I can see. I agree re the blandness of Creekside Village or whatever it's called - totally souless

Creekside Resident said...

Sorry but I just have to butt in here re Creekside bashing...I've lived at Creekside Village for a couple of years now and I have to disagree - it has a buzzing community within. You need to accept that taste differs and I personally adore the glass design - the reason I have chosen to live there. There is a good community feel - we have a creche, a gym, a new cafe opening soon and Galleon's Theatre is soon to take up residence (see Greenwich Council Planning website). I remember the old tyre building that used to site on the site...now that was an eyesore...

deptford pudding said...

I like it. It's suitably ramshackle, looking as if it has been builtout of whatever was to hand. What it needs is a covering of corrugated iron, preferably distressed corrugated iron. Reminds me of Atget's pictures of old Paris

Anonymous said...

Its just next to restaurant bin and I don't really think this thing works.It block the light to the other side of house. It's a uncomfortable heavy thing there.It looks more like a fancy store for rubbish.

Just. Hangsing said...

I love it! It's different and unique just like Deptford. I hope it will be open later this year, as part of London Open house! (Then I can visit) Really like this new addition to Deptford.

Jane said...

I noticed it randomly yesterday, It's great because it shows imagination, and it's hidden in a cul-de-sac of carparks, so there can't be too much controversy.